Emerald Mountain HOA
 
Login | Register
 
Home
About Us
Contact Us
Homes for Sale/Rent
Classifieds
 
Clubhouse
Reserve Clubhouse
Stables
Tennis Courts
Golf Course
Top of the Hill Grill
 
Community Leadership
HOA Meetings
Covenants Conditions & Restrictions
ARB Guidelines and Forms
Financials
Resident Directory
Recipe Exchange
Pet Directory
Message Board
Safety & Security
Area Information
Make a Payment
Photo Album
Find a Sitter
 

 

Emerald Mountain HOA
News
 
 

Return to Archives
Fourth of July Safety Tips
Each year, especially during the early summer weeks around the Fourth of July, thousands of people are treated in emergency departments for fireworks-related injuries. While some are minor, many of these injuries are serious, for example, resulting in burns or blindness. In 2008, seven deaths from fireworks-related injuries were reported; perhaps these could have been prevented.
 
Children should never be allowed to use fireworks! Of the 9,800 fireworks-related injuries reported to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) in 2007, almost half occurred in children under the age of 15.
 
All fireworks are dangerous—even sparklers—which cause the majority of fireworks-related injuries to children under the age of 5. Sparklers burn at very high temperatures (up to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit), sending out sparks that can easily set clothes on fire and cause permanent eye damage.
 
Because the risk of injuries when using fireworks is so high, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) supports a nationwide ban on the private use of any and all fireworks. Instead, families should attend public fireworks displays, which are much less dangerous.
 
Information contained in this article was adapted from the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.